Website KEMRI Wellcome Trust Research Programme KWTRP
To manage, oversee and coordinate all laboratory operations within the Programme so as to ensure effective support is provided to internal and external research and clinical care teams. To ensure the continued and consistent delivery of quality, health, and safety standards in line with GCLP accredited QMS so as to ensure that the laboratory’s accreditation and international recognition is maintained.
- Provide Leadership, Line Management, Technical Support and Supervision of Laboratory Section Heads and Laboratory staff.
- Work closely with the Head of Biosciences, Principal Investigators (PIs) and other senior staff to develop new programs, projects and/or evaluations to implement operation plans, strategies, objectives, and goals of the program.
- Prepare /draft budgets, review, approve and monitor expenditure/spending, ensure all service are costed, charged appropriately and recovered on time and liaise with Finance on a regular basis to ensure timely provision of management reports.
- Develop, implement, and monitor policies, procedures and performance standards to ensure efficient, effective, quality and compliant operations.
Design, implement and monitor relevant GCLP procedures and standards in order to deliver quality programs.
- Document all policy procedures and protocols and ensure staff are continually trained in order to maintain set standards.
- Identify performance improvement opportunities and liaise with the Head of Biosciences, other senior laboratory staff and researchers to develop and implement appropriate improvement programs.
- Manage and undertake laboratory technical procedures and activities including running tests, analysis and experiments; record all processes/ procedures, review/analyze results and present reports/feedback findings as necessary in line with SOPs.
- Evaluate new tests, methodologies, and instrumentation and make appropriate recommendations on review, adjustments and adoption/use.
Develop, implement, and continually monitor Health and Safety practices throughout the laboratory facilities.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of Laboratory strategic plans and programs.
Identify, project and plan departmental procurement requirements and ensure the continuous availability of all supplies including equipment, chemicals, stationary and other materials as may be needed.
- Manage, lead and develop staff including, identifying staffing requirements, allocation of roles and responsibilities, monitoring performance and driving staff training and development activities.
- Coordinate the Laboratory Training program including Continuous Professional Development (CPD), workshops and conferences.
Draft, write, edit and prepare training documents, technical reports and oral presentations for Laboratory programs.
- Prepare and submit reports as requested for project achievements and project plans. These include Project Scopes of Work (SOW), Project Implementation plans, Laboratory Analytical Plans, semi-annual reports and project timelines.
- Manage meetings with various stakeholders and ensure that the interest of the Laboratory is well presented.
- Master’s degree in biomedical sciences or in a relevant field.
- At least 8 years experience working in a medical/research laboratory with at least 4 years experience managing an accredited laboratory undertaking clinical trials at a senior level.
- Registration by Kenya Medical Laboratory Technicians and Technologists Board (KMLTTB)
- Knowledge of GCLPs, QMS and other relevant best practices and standards
Knowledge and experience in implementing, operating and maintaining Quality Assurance &Quality Control Systems including Internal Quality Control and External Quality Assurance (EQA) Schemes.
- Handling and shipment of dangerous goods (WHO/IATA certification)
Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft applications
- Significant experience of managing an Accredited Clinical Trial, Diagnostic and Research Laboratory.
- Demonstrate ability to work in harmony with national I international staff
Ability to create and manage a budget
- Demonstrated high levels of confidentiality and integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, presentation and communication skills.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills.
- Strong Management, leadership, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to build strong and effective teams.
- Ability to delegate and motivate teams.