The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) in collaboration with the University of Washington (UW) is conducting research studies in Kenya.
The KEMRI/UW research collaboration aims to conduct interdisciplinary, setting-specific research aimed at improving the lives of women and children in Kenya.
Specifically, our research strives to understand various infectious diseases afflicting these populations and testing interventions.
The KEMRI/UW team therefore seeks to recruit dynamic, innovative and experienced person to fill in the following position:
Job Title: Sample Management Officer (SMO) – HMO Study
Location: KEMRI HQ-SMURF _Nairobi
Main Objective of this position: The Sample Management Officer (SMO) will be responsible for managing the study samples in Laboratory site and in central storage facility.
She/he will be based in the Laboratory to be responsible for receiving and archiving study samples.
The SMO will work on sample storage, organization and record keeping of the sample inventory, sample Quality Control (QC) processes, and providing responses to data queries and performing sample audits.
She/he will be based in Nairobi.
The SMO will report directly to the Laboratory Coordinator.
Key responsibilities and tasks include:
• Receiving samples from site labs, conducting QC processes at sample reception and among existing archived samples, and archiving and organizing samples in the freezers.
• Entering samples into laboratory databases including but not limited to FreezerPro standard, REDCap, and KIDMs
• Sample retrieval and shipment to the analyzing laboratories.
• Maintaining comprehensive and accurate records for stored samples and helping to organize samples.
• Performing sample and data audits. Labelling and tracking of all stored samples.
• Liaise with the site Lab staff in planning sample shipments from the sites and organizing how site staff will be provided with dry ice and related supplies for sample shipment.
• Ensuring that study site and overseas samples packaging and shipments are executed and done within acceptable IATA, GCLP and biosafety regulations.
• QC and organization of samples stored in freezers.
• Accountable for compliance with data protection rules.
• Participate in developing and implementing SOPs and assist in development of processes for sample tracking and storage.
• Participate in general laboratory maintenance, which includes maintaining temperature logs/charts of laboratory equipment and standardization of all the equipment of operation in the research laboratory prior to any operations on the stated machine.
• Participate and establish accurate, timely and quality data entry discipline in the laboratory and adhere to the data query resolution SOP.
• Ensure good working relationship with colleagues and other stakeholders.
• Perform any other duty as assigned by the Laboratory Coordinator.
• Uphold the mission and vision of KEMRI/UW Organization.
Desired qualification, skills and experience.
• Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technologist.
• Be registered by the Kenya Medical Laboratory Technologist and Technician Board
• A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in laboratory setting (clinical research preferred)
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Team player
• Highly detail oriented
• Flexible working schedule, depending on conditions. Overtime/weekends if required.
• Computer literate (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Skype, email)
• Able to multi-task
• Fluency in English and Kiswahili.
• Demonstrated track record working in a busy laboratory
• Research experience
• Experience entering samples into laboratory databases including but not limited to FreezerPro standard, REDCap, and KIDMs preferred, but not required
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Six (6) months contract as per KEMRI scheme of service and a probation period for the first 3 months.
Remuneration: Compensation is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on educational levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency. The salary scheme is based on the KEMRI salary scales.
If you meet the above requirements, please use below link to complete the application
Sample Management Officer – Google Forms
Kindly send your application letter with your current CV that contains details of your qualifications, experience and full-time telephone contact. Include names and addresses of 3 professional referees, copies of certificates and testimonials to Email address: email@example.com to reach us by 22nd May 2023 at 5.00 p.m.
KEMRI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. persons with disability, women, youth and those from marginalized areas are encouraged to apply. KEMRI does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process including application, interview meeting and processing of offer letter.
Note: Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted
To apply for this job please visit www.kemri.go.ke.