Syn: Full Hemogram (FHG), Full Blood Count(FBC)
Complete blood count (CBC) is one of the most commonly performed tests in medical laboratories in Kenya. It utilizes automated blood cell counting to determine various blood parameters. These include red and white cells, platelet and hemoglobin parameters.
Indications for Complete Blood Count
CBC is one of the most commonly performed tests across a wide variety of clinical situations. Virtually any condition may be eligible for evaluation with CBC. It is used in diagnosis, monitoring disease progress and treatment of a variety of conditions.
Some of the specific conditions where CBC is absolutely necessary to include:
- Infectious diseases eg pneumonia, meningitis,
- Hematologic conditions eg Anemia, Sickle cell disease, coagulation disorders
- Inflammatory conditions e.g rheumatoid athritis,
- Cancers e.g leukemia,
- Hypersensitivity conditions eg Asthma
- Baseline workup for patients undergoing surgery, chemotherapy
- Disease and therpay monitoring
CBC is a laboratory-based test. Newer analysers can be used in doctor’s office or point of care settings.
Hematology Analyser is the equipment used to perform complete blood count. They vary in complexity from 3, 5 and 7 parameter
Hematology analyzers come in different sizes and capabilities. Most typical in the average laboratory is a single test machine. In busy facilities, bigger analyzers with batch processing capabilities are used.
In terms of capabilities, they are categorized as follows:
- 3- parameter
- 5- parameter
CBC test is run on anti-coagulated, whole blood.. Venous blood is commonly used.
Sample Collection Procedure:
Blood for complete blood count is routinely collected from a peripheral vein in the forearm or antecubital fossae. Other sites are acceptable based on the clinical situation. We use EDTA (purple-top) tube for collection about 3-5ml of blood.
- Sample identified and checked if acceptable for analysis
- Depending on the machine, samples are labelled and put on the machine rack
- The analyser aspirates the correct amount for sample and carries out the analysis.
- Results are displayed on the screen. If satisfactory, they are printed and signed out.
Results /Reference Range:
Please refer to our reference range page here