Average Cost: Please click here to view the current prices for laboratory tests in Kenya
Fasting Blood Sugar Level or more accurately referred to as fasting blood glucose level.
Diseases /Conditions :
Diabetes Mellitus type 1 and Diabetes Mellitus Type 2
Used in both diagnosis and monitoring of treatment.
Whole Blood – Finger prick, venipuncture
Point of Care, Home Testing
Glucometer, Lancing device, Finger Pricks, Alcohol Swabs
- Sanitise finger with alcohol soaked swab and air dry
- Insert test strip into glucometer and wait for flashing blood drop icon
- Prick finger with lancing device
- Touch tip of test strip downwards on the drop of blood on the finger.
- Read the results displayed on the glucometer screen
Reference Range in Standard units (SI) and metric units.
In Kenya, we have adopted the WHO diagnostic criteria for diabetes. Only fasting plasma glucose and 2 hour Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) tests are applicable in making the diagnosis.